CUỐN
17 TEST 1
PETER:
Hello?
JAN:
Oh hello. My name’s Jan. Are you the right person to talk to about the
Buckworth Conservation Group?
PETER:
Yes, I’m Peter. I’m the secretary.
JAN:
Good. I’ve just moved to this area, and I’m interested in getting involved. I
was in a similar group where I used to live. Could you tell me something about
your activities, please?
PETER:
Of course. Well, we have a mixture of regular activities and special events.
One of the regular ones is trying to keep the beach free of litter (Q1).
A few of us spend a couple of hours a month on it, and it’s awful how much
there is so clear. I wish people would be more responsible and take it home
with them.
JAN:
I totally agree. I’d be happy to help with that. Is it OK to take dogs (Q2)?
PETER:
I’m afraid not, as they’re banned from the beach itself. You can take them
along the cliffs, though. And children are welcome.
JAN:
Right.
PETER:
We also manage a nature reserve, and there’s a lot to do there all year round.
For example, because it’s a popular place to visit, we spend a lot of time
looking after the paths and making sure they’re in good condition for walking.
JAN:
I could certainly help with that.
PETER:
Good. And we have a programme of creating new habitats there. We’re just
finished making and installing nesting boxes for birds to use, and next we’re
going to work on encouraging insects (Q3) –
they’re important for the biodiversity of the reserve.
JAN:
They certainly are.
PETER:
Oh, and we’re also running a project to identify the different species of butterflies (Q4) that
visit the reserve. You might be interested in taking part in that.
JAN:
Sure. I was involved in something similar where I used to live, counting all
the species of months. I’d enjoy that.
PETER:
Another job we’re doing at the reserve is replacing the wall (Q5) on
the southern side, between the parking area and our woodshed. It was badly
damaged in a storm last month.
JAN:
OK.
—————————-
PETER:
Then as I said, we have a programme of events as well, both at the weekend, and
during the week.
JAN:
Right. I presume you have guided walks? I’d like to get to know the local
countryside, as I’m new to the area.
PETER:
Yes, we do. The next walk is to Ruston Island, a week on Saturday. We’ll be
meeting in the car park at Dunsmore Beach at low tide – that’s when the sands
are dry enough for us to walk to the island (Q6) without
getting wet.
JAN:
Sounds good.
PETER:
The island’s a great place to explore. It’s quite small, and it’s got a range
of habitats. It’s also an ideal location for seeing seals just off the coast,
or even on the beach.
JAN:
OK. And is there anything we should bring, like a picnic, for instance?
PETER:
Yes, do bring one, as it’s a full-day walk. And of course it’ll be wet walking
across and back, so make sure your boots (Q7) are
waterproof.
JAN:
I must buy a new pair – there’s a hole in one of my current ones! Well, I’d
definitely like to come on the walk.
PETER:
Great. Then later this month we’re having a one-day woodwork session in Hopton
Wood.
JAN:
I’ve never tried that before. Is it OK for beginners (Q8) to
take part?
PETER:
Definitely. There’ll be a couple of experts leading the session, and we keep
the number of participants down, so you’ll get as much help as you need.
JAN:
Excellent! I’d love to be able to make chairs.
PETER:
That’s probably too ambitious for one day! You’ll be starting with wooden spoons (Q9),
and of course learning how to use the tools. And anything you make is yours to
take home with you.
JAN:
That sounds like fun. When is it?
PETER:
It’s on the 17th, from 10 a.m. until 3. There’s a charge of £35 (Q10),
including lunch, or £40 if you want to camp in the wood.
JAN:
I should think I’ll come home the same day. Well, I’d certainly like to join
the group.
CUỐN
17 TEST 2
JANE:
Hello, Jane Fairbanks speaking.
FRANK:
Oh, good morning. My name’s Frank Pritchard. I’ve just retired and moved to
Southoe. I’d like to become a volunteer, and I gather you co-ordinate voluntary
work in the village.
JANE:
That’s right.
FRANK:
What sort of thing could I do?
JANE:
Well, we need help with the village library. We borrow books from the town
library, and individuals also donate them. So, one thing you could do is get
involved in collecting (Q1) them – if you’ve got a
car, that is.
FRANK:
Yes, that’s no problem.
JANE:
The times are pretty flexible so we can arrange it to suit you. Another thing
is the records (Q2) that we keep of the books
we’re given, and those we borrow and need to return to the town library. It
would be very useful to have another person to help keep them up to date.
FRANK:
Right. I’m used to working on a computer – I presume they’re computerised?
JANE:
Oh yes.
FRANK:
Is the library purpose-built? I haven’t noticed it when I’ve walked round the
village.
JANE:
No, we simply have the use of a room in the village hall, the West (Q3) Room.
It’s on the left as you go in.
FRANK:
I must go and have a look inside the hall.
JANE:
Yes, it’s a nice building.
FRANK:
Do you run a lunch club in the village for elderly people? I know a lot of
places do.
JANE:
Yes, we have a very successful club.
FRANK:
I could help with transport (Q4), if that’s of any use.
JANE:
Ooo definitely. People come to the club from neighbouring villages, and we’re
always in need of more drivers.
FRANK:
And does the club have groups that focus on a particular hobby, too? I could
get involved in one or two, particularly if there are any art (Q5) groups.
JANE:
Excellent. I’ll find out where we need help and get back to you.
FRANK:
Fine. What about help for individual residents. Do you arrange that at all?
JANE:
Yes, we do it as a one-off. In fact, there’s Mrs Carroll. She needs a lift to
the hospital (Q6) next week, and we’re struggling
to find someone.
FRANK:
When’s her appointment?
JANE:
On Tuesday. It would take the whole morning.
FRANK:
I could do that.
JANE:
Oh, that would be great. Thank you. And also, next week, we’re arranging to
have some work done to Mr Selsbury’s house before he moves, as he isn’t healthy
enough to do it himself. We’re got some people to decorate his kitchen, but if
you could do some weeding in his garden (Q7), that
would be wonderful.
FRANK:
OK. I’d enjoy that. And presumably the day and time are flexible.
JANE:
Oh yes. Just say when would suit you best, and we’ll let Mr Selsbury know.
FRANK:
Good.
—————————
JANE:
The volunteers group also organises monthly social events, which is a great way
to meet other people, of course.
FRANK:
Uhuh.
JANE:
So next month, on the 19th of October, we’re holding a quiz (Q8) –
a couple of residents are great at planning unusual ones, and we always fill
the village hall.
FRANK:
That sounds like fun. Can I do anything to help?
JANE:
Well, because of the summer of people, we need plenty of refreshments for
halfway through. So, if you could provide any, we’d be grateful.
FRANK:
I’m sure I could. I’ll think about what to make, and let you know.
JANE:
Thank you. Then on November the 18th, we’re holding a dance, also in the
village hall. We’ve booked a band that specialises in music of the 1930s –
they’ve been before, and we’ve had a lot of requests to bring them back.
FRANK:
I’m not really a dancer, but I’d like to do something to help.
JANE:
Well, we sell tickets (Q9) in advance, and having
an extra person to check them at the door, as people arrive, would be good – it
can be quite a bottleneck if everyone arrives at once!
FRANK:
OK, I’m happy with that.
JANE:
We’re also arranging a New Year’s Eve party. We’re expecting that to be a
really big event, so instead of the village hall, it’ll be held in the
Mountfort Hotel.
FRANK:
The …?
JANE:
Mountfort. M-O-U-N-T-F-O-R-T Hotel. It isn’t in Southoe itself, but it’s only a
couple of miles away. The hotel will be providing dinner and we’ve booked a
band. The one thing we haven’t got yet is a poster (Q10).
That isn’t something you could do, by any chance, is it?
FRANK:
Well actually, yes. Before I retired I was a graphic designer, so that’s right
up my street.
JANE:
Oh perfect! I’ll give you the details, and then perhaps you could send me a
draft …
FRANK:
Of course.
Cuốn 17 test 3
WOMAN:
Jack, I’m thinking of taking the kids to the seaside on a surfing holiday this
summer and I wanted to ask your advice – as I know you’re such an expert.
JACK:
Well, I don’t know about that, but yes, I’ve done a bit of surfing over the
years. I’d thoroughly recommend it. I think it’s the kind of holiday
all the family can enjoy together (Q1). The thing about surfing
is that it’s great for all ages and all abilities. My youngest started when he
was only three!
WOMAN:
Wow! But it’s quite physically demanding, isn’t it? I’ve heard you need
to be pretty fit. (Q2)
JACK:
Yes. You’ll certainly learn more quickly and won’t tire as easily.
WOMAN:
Well – that should be OK for us. You’ve been surfing a few times in Ireland,
haven’t you?
JACK:
Yes. There’s some great surfing there, which people don’t always realise.
WOMAN:
And which locations would you recommend? – there seem to be quite a few.
JACK:
Yes, there are loads. Last year we went to County Donegal. There are several
great places to surf there.
WOMAN:
What about in County Clare? I read that’s also really good for surfing.
JACK:
Yes, it is. I’ve been there a few times. Most people go to Lahinch. My kids
love it there. The waves aren’t too challenging and the town is very lively.
WOMAN: Are
there good hotels there? (Q3)
JACK: Yes
– some very nice ones and there are also a few basic hostels and
campsites. It’s great if you need lessons as the surf schools are excellent.
WOMAN:
Sounds good.
JACK:
Yes and there’s lots to see in the area – like those well-known cliffs – … I’ve
forgotten the name of them …
WOMAN:
Oh don’t worry – I can look them up.
JACK:
I’ve also been surfing in County Mayo, which is less well-known for surfing,
but we had a really good time. That was a few years ago when the kids were
younger. There’s a good surf school at Carrowniskey beach. (Q4)
WOMAN:
How do you spell that?
JACK:
C-A-double R-O-W-N-I-S-K-E-Y
WOMAN:
OK.
JACK:
I put the kids into the surf camp they run during the summer for 10-16 year
olds.
WOMAN:
Oh right. How long was that for?
JACK:
Three hours every day for a week (Q5). It was perfect –
they were so tired out after that.
WOMAN:
I can imagine.
JACK:
One thing we did while the kids were surfing was to rent some kayaks to have
a look around the bay which is nearby (Q6). It’s really
beautiful.
WOMAN:
Oh, I’d love to do that.
—————————-
WOMAN:
Now the only time I went to Ireland it rained practically every day.
JACK:
Mmm yes – that can be a problem – but you can surf in the rain, you know.
WOMAN:
It doesn’t have the same appeal, somehow.
JACK:
Well, the weather’s been fine the last couple of years when I’ve been there,
but actually, it tends to rain more in August than in the spring or
autumn. September’s my favourite month because the water is warmer then. (Q7)
WOMAN:
The only problem is that the kids are back to school then.
JACK:
I know. But one good thing about Irish summers is that it doesn’t get too
hot. The average temperature is about 19 degrees (Q8) and
it usually doesn’t go above 25 degrees.
WOMAN:
That sounds alright. Now what about costs?
JACK:
Surfing is a pretty cheap holiday really – the only cost is the hire of
equipment. You can expect to pay a daily rate of about 30 euros for the
hire of a wetsuit and board (Q9) – but you can save about
40 euros if you hire by the week.
WOMAN:
That’s not too bad.
JACK:
No. It’s important to make sure you get good quality wetsuits – you’ll all get
too cold if you don’t. And make sure you also get boots. They keep your
feet warm and it’s easier to surf with them on too. (Q10)
WOMAN:
OK. Well, thanks very much …
CUỐN
17 TEST 4
JACINTA:
Hello, Easy Life Cleaning Services, Jacinta speaking.
CLIENT:
Oh hello. I’m looking for a cleaning service for my apartment – do you do
domestic cleaning?
JACINTA:
Sure.
CLIENT:
Well, it’s just a one-bedroom flat. Do you have a basic cleaning package?
JACINTA:
Yes. For a one-bedroom flat we’re probably looking at about two hours for a
clean. So we’d do a thorough clean of all surfaces in each room, and polish
them where necessary. Does your apartment have carpets?
CLIENT:
No, I don’t have any, but the floor would need cleaning. (Q1)
JACINTA:
Of course – we’d do that in every room. And we’d do a thorough
clean of the kitchen and bathroom.
CLIENT:
OK.
JACINTA:
Then we have some additional services which you can request if you want – so
for example, we can clean your oven for you every week.
CLIENT:
Actually, I hardly ever use that, but can you do the fridge? (Q2)
JACINTA:
Sure. Would you like that done every week?
CLIENT:
Yes, definitely. And would ironing clothes be an additional service you can do?
JACINTA:
Yes, of course.
CLIENT:
It wouldn’t be much, just my shirts for work that week. (Q3)
JACINTA:
That’s fine. And we could also clean your microwave if you want.
CLIENT:
No, I wipe that out pretty regularly so there’s no need for that.
JACINTA:
We also offer additional services that you might want a bit less often, say
every month. So for example, if the inside of your windows need
cleaning (Q4), we could do that.
CLIENT:
Yes, that’d be good. I’m on the fifteenth floor, so the outside gets done
regularly by specialists, but the inside goes get a bit grubby.
JACINTA:
And we could arrange for your curtains to get cleaned if necessary.
CLIENT:
No, they’re OK. But would you be able to do something about the balcony (Q5)?
It’s quite small and I don’t use it much, but it could do with a wash every
month or so.
JACINTA:
Yes, we can get the pressure washer onto that.
———————————-
JACINTA:
Now if you’re interested, we do offer some other possibilities to do with
general maintenance. For example, if you have a problem with water and you need
a plumber in a hurry, we can put you in touch with a reliable one who can come
out straightaway. And the same thing if you need an electrician. (Q6)
CLIENT:
Right. That’s good to know. I’ve only just moved here so I don’t have any of
those sorts of contacts.
JACINTA:
And I don’t know if this is of interest to you, but we also offer a special
vacuum cleaning system which can improve the indoor air quality of your home
by capturing up to 99% of all the dust in the air. So if you’re
troubled by allergies, this can make a big difference. (Q7)
CLIENT:
Right. In fact, I don’t have that sort of problem, but I’ll bear it in mind.
Now can you tell me a bit about your cleaning staff?
JACINTA:
Of course. So all our cleaners are very carefully selected. When they apply to
us, they have to undergo a security check with the police (Q8) to
make sure they don’t have any sort of criminal background, and, of course, they
have to provide references as well. Then if we think they might be suitable for
the job, we give them training for it. That lasts for two weeks (Q9) so
it’s very thorough, and at the end of it, they have a test. If they pass that,
we take them on, but we monitor them very carefully – we ask all our
clients to complete a review of their performance after every visit and to
email it to us (Q10). So we can pick up any problems
straightaway and deal with them.
CLIENT:
OK, well that all sounds good. And will I always have the same cleaner?
JACINTA:
Yes, we do our best to organise it that way, and we usually manage it.
CLIENT:
Good. That’s fine. Right, so I’d like to go ahead and …

0 Nhận xét